(CLICK TO EXPAND ENTRIES)
- Obtain as clear as possible a picture of what the project is to be
- Share and sign mutual NDA if appropriate
- Obtain printed documents, reports, etc describing the client’s device, process, etc.
Decide if we can do the project:
- Are we the right group to perform this research?
- Is this something we want to do?
- Run through a “discovery stage” with the client
- Make a list of their expectations
- Understand the client’s perception of the work
- Sign mutual NDA if not already done
Define scope of work:
- Perform research to propose a solution (preliminary agreement must be signed and payment received in full)
- Gather details/resources
- Determine costs, schedule, and tasks for different possible solutions
Propose solutions to client:
- Propose in writing several solutions (cheap, medium, high price) with recommendation for best solution (Informal Proposal)
- Discuss solutions until one is chosen
- Modify a few times the solution it until both parties are in agreement
- Agree on status reporting and on final delivery
- Present formal proposal with budget and contract (including asking and receiving 50% of total cost before implementation)
Sign contract and perform:
- Signed contract is received (no modification allowed by sponsor once the contract is signed or new contract is needed and steps 3 and 4 must be repeated)
- Implement project
- Provide interim reports as agreed (minimum time interval between reports: 2 weeks)
- Informed sponsor of any change in procedure from the accepted proposal including delays and new costs as soon as possible and get authorization to proceed in writing or project stops until approval is obtained.
- Make the first draft of a final report
- Discuss the draft and make modifications
- Deliver final report and ask for final payment.